• Don’t apply lotion while wearing your jewelry. Lotions put film on diamonds, gemstones, and pearls reducing their luster.
• Don’t wear your jewelry in pools, lakes, the ocean and especially hot tubs. EVER!
• Chlorine and other chemicals can damage and discolor alloys in metal (like gold and platinum) which could slowly erode the metal and color of the gemstones. Also if you have a loose stone and it gets lost while swimming your jewelry could become a sunken treasure.
• Don’t wear your jewelry while doing yard work, working out at the gym, moving, or any other physical activity where you may hit or put pressure on your jewelry, or get something like sand and dirt in the settings.
• Contrary to popular belief diamonds can get chipped if hit hard enough, prongs can also become broken or loose resulting in lost stones.
• Last but not least avoid touching diamonds with your fingers since smudges can dull your diamond’s shine. Also avoid wearing jewelry when excessively sweating as the salt in sweat can eat away at the alloys in the metal over time.
• Do see us every 6 months to have one of our jewelers clean and inspect your jewelry for loose prongs and wear and tear on mountings.
• Do clean your diamond and gemstones regularly.
• A simple plan to keep your diamond and gemstone jewelry always looking beautiful is to clean your stones with any one of our trusted jewelry cleaners. Our diamond experts can help you find the jewelry cleaner appropriate for your needs. Clean your jewelry once or twice a week. After you’ve let your jewelry stay in the cleaner as directed remove the jewelry from the cleaner and brush it with a soft, clean toothbrush to remove any leftover dirt. Take extra care to brush the back of the stones as this will be the area that has collected the most oil and dirt.
*Keep in mind that removing dirt could loosening your setting, once that dirt is removed there may be extra space in between your stone and setting which could cause you to lose your stone for good.
When In Doubt!
• If you have questions or concerns, feel free to contact one of our jewelry experts at Jewelry Creations and we will be happy to clean AND inspect your jewelry FOR FREE! We can also tighten prongs, do repairs, and handle all of your jewelry needs!